Get in touch → email@example.com
I am Philipp Zurmöhle, an Illustrator, Graphic Designer, Visual Artist and Educator living in Portland, Oregon USA.
Growing up in Hannover, Germany I studied Visual Communication at Hochschule Hannover. I spent a semester at Hiroshima City University in Japan as an exchange student. Since then I couldn’t help but move to exotic places.
I lived in Oslo, Norway for two years to work for the branding agency Mission Design. After that I moved to Nürnberg, took a job at adidas in Herzogenaurach and designed apparel graphics for three years.
Going solo, I started my own design business in Nürnberg and opened an art and design book shop called VON & ZU BUCH.
In 2016 I moved to Portland, Oregon. Working independently I collaborated with some of the local agencies like Jolby & Friends, Supermorebetter, Mutt Industries or Upswell.
I also teach design classes at Portland State University School of Art and Design.
My design experience ranges from branding projects to illustrative work. I created a new logo for Leonardo, one of Europe’s market leaders in glassware. I developed a comprehensive identity for Hamburg-based Architects Schaltraum. Being excited about packaging design I branded a Canadian beer called Lokal and developed intricate scenic illustrations for the German brand Pure Tea.
Furthermore I was commissioned for several design projects with adidas, a comprehensive illustrative concept for the German Telekom Group and editorial illustrations for Rolling Stone Magazine.
- 2012 – present / Independent Illustrator and Designer
- 2019 – present / Adjunct Instructor at Portland State University School of Art and Design
- 2013 – 2015 / VON & ZU BUCH Book Shop Owner in Nürnberg, Germany
- 2009 – 2012 / Illustrator and Graphic Designer at adidas in Herzogenaurach, Germany
- 2007 – 2009 / Graphic Designer at Mission Design in Oslo, Norway
- 2007 / Graduation at Hochschule Hannover in Hannover, Germany / Title: Dipl. Des. (→ M.A.)
- 2006 / Internship at Mission Design in Oslo, Norway
- 2005 – 2006 / Graphic Designer at Treibwerk Design in Hannover, Germany
- 2005 / Studies at Hiroshima City University, Japan → 6 months, DAAD Scholarship
- 2004 – 2007 / Freelance design work for Codelab in Kassel, Germany
- 2002 – 2007 / Communication Design studies at Hochschule Hannover
- 2001 / Academic high school graduation in Hannover, Germany
- 1981 / Born in Hannover, Germany
Exhibitions and Events:
- Gathering Fortunes Solo Show → Raum für zeitgenössische Kunst, Laurentiu Feller – Nürnberg, Germany 2015
- Jagdfieber Group Exhibition → Die Kunstagentin – Cologne, Germany 2012
- Compressed Group Exhibition → Neonchocolate Gallery / HBC – Berlin, Germany 2012
- Stroke Artfair → Postbahnhof – Berlin, Germany 2011
- adidas Urban Artist Series Exhibition → Westberlin Gallery – Berlin, Germany 2011
- Happiness and other Monkeys → Neonchocolate Gallery – Berlin, Germany 2011
- Konkrete Utopien Art Project → Bäckerei – Innsbruck, Austria 2010
- Home Group Exhibition → Artelier Gallery – Nürnberg, Germany 2010
- Out of Office Group Exhibition 2009 → Artelier Gallery – Nürnberg, Germany 2010
- YDMI Days → Ambiente – Frankfurt, Germany 2009
- Threesome Group Exhibition → Nice Nice Exhibition Space – Hannover, Germany 2009
- Custom Kicks Event → Spui Plein – Amsterdam, Netherlands 2008
- Landliebe Group Exhibition → HCU – Hiroshima, Japan 2005
- Co&Co Magazine 2016 – Schaltraum Identity
- Co&Co Magazine 2011 – Ding 3000 redesign
- Novum 5/08 – Works showcase
- Slanted Magazine #5 – Generate Magazine feature
- Novum 6/07 – Generate Magazine feature
- DE:BUG 111 4/07 – Generate Magazine feature
- Plugged 3/07 – Generate Magazine feature
- Novum – Diet Riot article
- Design Report 4/05 – Past Forward article
- Novum – Past Forward article
- Design Report 6/04 – Designsport feature
- Behind Illustration by Index Books
- “Fresh 3 – Cutting Edge Illustrations, Print“ by daab Books
- Custom Kicks – Sneaker Book by Laurence King Publishing
- OFFF conference catalogues 2008 & 2009
- Zeixs “Graphic Design, Logos 1 & 2, Illustration”